On every Scenic river cruise you’ll be automatically covered once you commence your cruise for any delays or cancellations that occur due to weather, natural disasters, mechanical breakdowns or strikes. There’s nothing extra to pay, we automatically cover you in the price you pay for your cruise.
We appreciate that you’ve invested a lot in your holiday with us and we want to ensure that we provide you with peace of mind when travelling with Scenic.
Our river cruising guarantee is designed to give you comfort and assurance for certain events which prevent you from cruising, and are not considered typical or usual to river cruising. Our river cruising guarantee is designed to insure for unforeseen events rather than minor delays or deviations.
In the event that a claim is required, instead of the industry standard of future cruise credits you will be refunded in cash.
What is classed as an unforeseen event
- A complete halt to your itinerary where the ship is unable to sail and we are unable to deliver your on shore excursions except by way of coach rides of greater than 3 hours each way
- Where we have the ability to accommodate you on another Scenic Space-Ship due to high/low water but your itinerary is delayed more than 24 hours
- If there is a mechanical breakdown on the ship that results in it not being able to continue the cruise and there are no alternative ships available
- If due to industrial action we are not able to pass through a lock and your cruise can not continue
What is classed as a normal disruption and is therefore not covered?
- If high water levels prohibit the sailing of the ship for an afternoon but we are able to make it under the bridge that evening and deliver you to your scheduled disembarkation place the following day.
- If we swap ships due to high/low water and the ship swap takes less than 6 hours to complete
- If we embark/disembark the ship less than 100 kilometres from your scheduled point of embarkation
- If we have to make alternate arrangement for any itinerary activities. For example, if due to prevailing conditions we are not able to attend Marksburg Castle and we select a replacement of similar quality, this will not constitute an event of delay.
Who do I talk to for more information?
To find out more please contact your Scenic Travel Agent or call us on 1 866 689 8611.
Full terms and conditions for River Cruising Guarantee
If a claim is rejected or part paid by your travel insurance, you may be eligible for coverage under Our ACE Insurance policy. Following are the terms and conditions that apply to Our ACE Insurance policy:
Our ACE Insurance policy applies when Your Scenic Journey is delayed or cancelled after You have commenced Your Scenic Journey and before you have disembarked and completed Your Scenic Journey due to:
i. mechanical breakdown;
iv. civil commotion;
v. river or canal lock damage or closure;
vi. adverse weather conditions; or
vii. natural disasters.
If Your Scenic Journey is delayed or cancelled after you have commenced and is deemed to be claimable event by Us as per the above definitions, We will pay You up to $1,000 for each full 24 hour period from the start of the delay or cancellation up to a maximum of $7,000 (or seven (7) consecutive 24 hour periods) or the originally scheduled end date of Your Scenic Tour, whichever is the lesser.
We will not pay for claims arising directly or indirectly from:
- Consequential loss of any kind including loss of enjoyment or any financial loss not specifically covered in the Policy;
- Minor or typical delays experienced on the waterways;
- War, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war be declared or not), Civil War, rebellion, revolution, insurrection or military or usurped power;
- any loss or expense with respect to Cuba or a specially designated person, entity, group or company on the Specially Designated List or which if reimbursed or paid by Us would result in Us being in breach of trade or economic sanctions or other such similar laws or regulations;
- any nuclear reaction or contamination, ionising rays or radioactivity;
- any Goods and Services Tax (GST) liability or any fine, charge or penalty You are liable for because of a failure to fully disclose to Us Your input tax credit entitlement for the premium;
The Meaning of Certain Words
Throughout this document, certain words begin with capital letters. These words have special meaning (Definitions) and are outlined in this section. Any reference to an Act, legislation or legislative instrument in this document also refers to that Act, legislation or legislative instrument as amended and as may be in force from time to time.
Civil War means any of the following, whether declared or not, armed opposition, insurrection, revolution, armed rebellion, sedition, between two or more parties belonging to the same country where the opposing parties are of different ethnic, religious or idealistic groups.
Covered Person means a person who has a confirmed booking with the Policyholder for which the Policyholder has paid a premium for the cover provided by this policy.
Event(s) means an occurrence that could give rise to a claim for a benefit under Your Policy. Any one occurrence or series of occurrences attributable to one source or originating cause is deemed to be one Event.
Policy / Policy Wording means this document, and any other document that We tell You forms part of the Policy describing the insurance contract between the Policyholder and Us and/or the cover available to You.
Policyholder means Scenic Tours Pty Ltd ABN 85 002 715 602 of Level 2, 11 Brown Street Newcastle, New South Wales, 2300 and all subsidiaries
Scenic Journey means a tour managed, arranged and operated by the Policyholder.
War means war, whether declared or not, or any warlike activities, including use of military force by any sovereign nation to achieve economic, geographic, nationalistic, political, racial, religious or other ends.
You, Your means a Covered Person(s).